Tips and Tricks Vol 1… The pedicure edition
Summer is around the corner and the heat is slapping you in the back of the head already.
Are you ready?
Better yet….. are your toes ready?
Let’s change that.
- First and foremost, remove that ratty, old nail polish. You probably don’t think about your remover, do you? I know you don’t because I once was there. It definitely makes a difference for your nails. Aim for a non-acetone remover, as it’s nicer to your digits. It won’t dry them out. A good one is Sephora by Opi Nail Colour Remover. It has Vitamin E, aloe vera and grapeseed oil to moisturize cuticles and nails in one easy step.
- Unless your toenails are talons and ripping through your crew socks, file nails instead of clipping them. You can control the length more with a file and the shape. It’ll help with the sprucing up.
- Use a foot lotion with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), which gently exfoliate dry skin, allowing the moisturizer to fully absorb. This lotion, in particular, is sheer and light, so you can apply and put on your shoes without major sliding. If any of you have put baby oil on your foot by accident then slipped in some sandals, you know what I’m talking about. Make sure you get those ashy heels and any other rough patches. Hook yourself up!
- Use toe separators (or small tissue balls) to keep your toenails from hitting each other and smudging your polish. Grab a quick dry polish so you don’t have to sit up waiting. The polish really does dry in about 60 seconds.
- A sheer pink polish on longer toenails gives an instant French pedicure and won’t show chips as easily.
- A classic red nail polish will go with most colored shoes.
- Use a foot lotion nightly to keep heels and feet soft in between pedicures.
- Regularly exfoliate in the shower with a pumice stone. Apply a thick lotion or cream (like Eucerin’s Aquaphor [love that]) to feet then wear socks to bed.
- For extra soft feet, try applying a thick coat of diaper rash cream to feet (yes, I know), put feet in a thin plastic bag or saran wrap, then put socks over it. If you can sleep like that, then you are guaranteed the softest feet ever in the morning.
GET IT TOGETHER LADIES!
Happy painting! [and filing, or polish removing…..